Car Title Loans In Everett, WA [Qualifications, Facts, How to Apply, and FAQs]
Have you ever found yourself in need of some cash right away? When emergencies hit, the speed of a loan application process can make or break the situation.
If you end up needing some quick money, car title loans might just be the solution you’ve been looking for!
Don’t Get What A Car Title Loan Is?
Car title loans— also known as title loans or pink slip loans, is a short-term and high-interest rate loan. They’re very popular among those needing loans with bad credit scores.
As its name suggests, a car title loan involves borrowers giving up their vehicle titles as security. And as a secured loan, it presents a much lower risk to the lender.
While the terms of a title loan will vary depending on different factors, such as the equity or value of the vehicle, they will usually look a little something like this:
- You apply to borrow a single-payment title loan of $500. The lender charges a finance fee of $30 and lends you the money for 14 days with an interest rate of 15%.
- You will pay the finance fee upfront and get your money in cash or sent to your bank account within 24-48 hours after the approval of your loan.
- At the end of the 14 days, you will have to pay back the entire loan amount plus interest, which means you owe a total of $575.
- Including the finance charge of the lender, you’re essentially paying a total of $605 to borrow $500.
Title loans in the state of Washington— of course, Everett included— can be illegal.
To ensure your rights as a borrower are protected and to avoid getting into any illegal business, make sure you are dealing with licensed lenders.
Applying for a Loan: How They Would Work In Everett
Now that you understand how car title loans work, let’s get into more detail about the loan process in Everett.
- Do your research on reliable licensed title lenders and get their contact information.
- You can call ahead and talked to their experts to get a quote, pre-approval, and specific requirements for the loan application. In Everett, most car title loans can also be applied online.
- After filling out the application and gathering all the required documents, you will have to submit them.
- This can certainly be done online or through mail, but because of the sensitive nature of the application for car title loans and for promptness, it would be advisable to deliver them yourself.
- Sometimes, you will also need to bring the actual vehicle described in the application or car title for further assessment of its total equity, in which case it would be better to drive down to the lender yourself along with the other requirements for the loan.
- Then you’ll discuss and go over the terms with the lender before signing the loan contract.
- Take note that the lender should give you full disclosure on the complete loan terms including loan amount, interest rate, finance charges, payment deadlines, and annual percentage rate.
- Other important information that needs to be detailed in the contract are the names of the borrower, the lender, and a description of the vehicle.
- After signing, you’ll be able to receive your money in cash or wired to your bank account as soon as the loan has been processed.
What You’ll Need to Qualify for An Auto Title Loan
Fortunately, in Everett, there aren’t too many requirements when applying for car title loans. Aside from your driver’s license or any other government-issued ID, you will need to bring the following:
Vehicle Title Or Pink Slip
- The car title or pink slip is obviously important as it’s the security for the loan. It’s very important that it’s lien-free and in your name.
- Lien-free means there is no outstanding balance for the payment of the vehicle.
- Sole ownership isn’t always a necessary requirement but will ensure that lenders can process and approve your loan application with ease.
- Also, while they are called car title loans, you can apply for these loans with any sort of vehicle other than a car. This includes vehicles such as a motorbike or even a recreational vehicle.
Vehicle Registration and Insurance Papers
- You will also need to bring in copies of your recent vehicle registration and insurance papers.
- This is to make sure you’re the “proper” owner of the vehicle being put up for collateral, as well as a means for the lender to accurately assess the total equity of the vehicle.
Proof of Income
- This can be anything like a copy of your bank statements or pay stubs.
- While your credit scores actually don’t make much of a difference in the approval of your loan, it’s still important for lenders to know you will be able to pay the money back on the loan.
What Happens When Paying Back The Loan
- Single-payment title loans are paid back in a lump sum at the end of the loan term (it would depend but usually it’s within 14-30 days).
- Installment title loans are a more flexible payment plan that lets you pay back in set increments, usually within 3-6 months.
- Also, make sure to check for a pre-payment clause in your contract. This gives the borrower a penalty fee for paying back the loan on an earlier date than stipulated in the contract.
- Paying the loan back earlier can be cheaper even with the pre-payment penalty and can even improve your credit score greatly, but that’s not always the case so be sure to check!
*Other lenders may require more documents for loans, including pictures of the vehicle or other identification documents depending on your status in the US.
How Easy Is It for Me to Apply for a Loan?
The loan process in Everett is very quick and simple for car title loans assuming you have all the legal documents aforementioned because:
- It’s much easier than applying for a loan with bigger financial institutions such as banks or a credit union because it doesn’t require as many things.
- Additionally, your credit score isn’t taken into consideration, which is why they’re so popular with those with bad scores.
- And again, this is because you’re putting up your car as collateral for the loan, making it a very low-risk loan for the lender.
Do Credit Ratings Play Any Role, Then?
Yes, they do. Although bad credit scores still make you eligible to apply, this also affects the interest rate you’ll receive.
An applicant with a higher credit rating will receive lower interest rates than an applicant with lower/bad credit ratings.
Furthermore, lenders might perform a credit check. This means they will evaluate your ability to repay the amount.
How Much Can I Really Get for Car Title Loans?
You can get anywhere between $100-$50,000 in Everett. But keep in mind the following:
- The money you can get for title loans is again, dependent on the value of your car. A lender may also opt to give you more since there isn’t a specific state provision preventing them from doing so.
- While there is no cap on the total money a lender may loan you, there are regulations preventing a licensed lender from charging certain interest rates on loans.
Will I Really Get My Money Instantly?
The loan process for car title loans can be done instantaneously or usually within 48 hours max. However, this could also depend on how large the amount is being lent.
But What Happens When You Defer A Loan?
In Everett, title loans are a great way to improve your credit score— unless you’re unable to pay the total loan amount back on time. If you defer on title loans, this is what happens:
- Your credit score will decrease
- The amount of your debt will increase
- The lender has the right to repossess your vehicle and put it up for sale
However, there is one other option other than deferring on title loans— a loan rollover. This entails the following:
- Extending the terms of your loan to pay back the total loan amount with interest.
- This means the amount you have to pay back will be much more— we aren’t exaggerating when we say title loans are EXPENSIVE.
- Loan rollovers can definitely be great, but if you aren’t able to pay it back it’s really just the gateway to a never-ending cycle of debt.
- One upside is a second chance to improve credit scores and getting the chance to buy back your vehicle if it hasn’t already been sold.
Applying for a title loan in Everett, WA is one good way to get loans from places other than a credit union, especially if you’re desperate with bad credit.
However, pink slip loans can also be dangerous if you’re not aware of your rights as a borrower. Then again if you:
- Have no other options
- Are dealing with a licensed lender
- Are certain you can pay it back on time
Then it’s definitely worth applying for, and a great chance to get some quick cash and improve your credit scores!